Many years ago (maybe 10 or so) one of my best friends gave me a book from 1962 that was from her grandmother’s homemaking collection.
I love to sit back and read this gem of a Vintage Homemaking Book. It’s called Heloise’s Housekeeping Hints. And it contains little vintage tips for homemaking details from cleaning to cooking (though the section on ridding your home of cockroaches did gross me out).
note: I love reading Vintage Homemaking Books like these because often they contain nuggets of wisdom that can still serve us today.
I know pancakes aren’t necessarily and every day breakfast dish in a busy home but when you make them you want to make them the best they can be right? I mean we usually make them for special occasions or weekend. How about you? Make your pancakes memorable.
I’ll rewrite Heloise’s Tips in my own words.
Tips for Better Pancakes
- Make your pancakes oval instead of round. You will get more on your griddle that way. Who says pancakes have to be round? We don’t have a griddle but a cast iron skillet and due to gravity or what have you our pancakes come out all sorts of odd shapes.
- Add more oil (or butter) to your batter if you find them sticking. This is so true. I once had a batter that stuck all the time. I added a tablespoon of olive oil to the batter and voila! No more sticky!
- Instead of just adding your whole egg to your pancakes separate them and whip the egg white a bit. This will make your pancakes lighter, fluffier, more tender, and adds bubbles. I only do this when I’m feeling extra homemakey.
- Add two eggs instead of one and do as above with separating and beating the egg whites. Fold your egg whites in instead of beating them in. The sourdough pancakes (linked above) take two eggs (one whole and one egg white) but I don’t whip the whites. The sourdough pancakes are very fluffy!
- Have pancakes with dinner. Okay this isn’t from the book and I just added it because I’ve recently been serving pancakes with my split pea soup. Delicious!Think you might try some of these pancake tips? What special tips do you have for yummy pancakes?
These are vintage tips but there are plenty of modern tips for great pancakes too.
More Pancake Recipes
- Sourdough Trim Healthy Mama pancakes
- Grain Free Pumpkin Pancakes
- Enchanted Homeschool Grandma’s Buttermilk Pancake Recipe (Kid’s in the Kitchen)
- Old Fashioned Pancakes Made with Vinegar from PDXFoodLove
- Could I resist? 55 Pancake Recipes from Vintage Kitchen Notes
Pancakes are as old as the Bible. The widow that served Elijah make cakes from the little meal she had left over.
Read more about the Vintage Heloise (as opposed to the current Heloise who is her daughter)
Linking up with…