This is part 4 of the series 7 Days to a Cleaner Home This series details how I get my whole house in company order in the space of 7 days.
The bedrooms are the easiest (in my humble opinion) to clean.
Really they mainly require dusting, vacuuming, putting away, and straightening up. Yeah a wipe here and there, but unless you have some bad habits I’m unaware of there is no soap scum, ground in oil and stuff like that.
In theory, with this 7 day thing, we are just cleaning one room in the home per day, but since most households have more than one bedroom we'll need to use only one of our days to tackle them all.
To make this work have kids clean their rooms if they're old enough. Try and see if you can get all the bedrooms back to a working order in one day. If this is not possible then, by all means, stretch it out. The goal is a clean home, not a back killing workout.
Your 7 Days to a Clean Home Bedroom Cleaning Method
- Make the bed first. In fact, if you have some newly washed sheets ready, change the sheets. Make it look inviting. A throw pillow or two if you have extras. I don’t know why I love these on the bed. I always have 3 on ours. If you have pets that love your bed and you don’t have the heart to make them get off get a cheap blanket in the color scheme of your room or bedding. Make sure it can take some good washing to get all the fur off. There are some great fluffy ones on the market for a very low cost. If you can get two so when you’re washing one you have the other ready to go.
- Put all the clothing lying around and out away. You’re not weeding and purging right now, you’re just cleaning up. Hang up what needs to be hung up. Toss dirty clothes in the hamper or start a wash load.
- Begin by dusting ceiling corners, over and behind the door and, across blinds, and along the baseboards.
- Next start dusting all surfaces. You’re not worrying about furniture creme right now. Just a wool duster and go over the tops of dressers, tables, etc. More knick-knacks and dust them and around them.
- Spray a little all purpose cleaner on a clean microfiber cloth and wipe lightswitch plates, telephones (yes we actually still have a landline), and doorknobs.
- Now clean the windows and mirrors with window cleaner. Spray and wipe across and down.
- With a damp cloth wipe window sills and lamp bases. Also wipe any other surfaces that need it where dusting is not enough.
- Empty garbage.
- Vacuum carpeting or if you have bare floors sweep and damp mop.
Extra Credit: Now add some aroma.
Spritz your favorite scent in the air.
Add a few drops of essential oil (this is the brand I use) to a small bottle of distilled water and spray the air. An electrical diffuser is another nice way to send sents throughout your rooms.
You're done with the bedroom!
Turn out the lights and pat yourself on the back.
Tomorrow get ready for the Living Room…