As with all the details of your homemaking laundry care is made that much simpler by having the right tools and knowing the best and easiest ways to apply them.
Bed Linens are no different.
Your bed linens so knowing the best way to take care of them will keep them looking and being their best that much longer.
Know the different kinds of fabrics lining your bed.
- The sheets you sleep on should be washed at least once a week in the hottest water setting on your washing machine. Read the care labels before you buy them to be sure you are purchasing sheets that can handle the hot water wash.
- Try to avoid using bleach on your linens. Bleach eventually breaks down fabric fibers and can cause yellowing. Use white vinegar as a final rinse in place fabric softener and to help remove buildup on your sheets.
- Pillows, which your face graces every night, should be washed or replaced several times a year. When you dry them in the dryer toss in a few dryer balls to pouf them back into shape. If possible purchase a pillow cover that you can wash weekly with the bedsheets. These can come in such hair friendly fabrics as silk and satin.
- Blankets, bedspreads, and comforters do not need to be washed as often but check for dry cleaning labels. You don’t want the everyday blanket on your bed to be dry clean only unless you can afford that kind of upkeep. If your comforter is too big to be washed in your home machine take it to a laundromat with an industrial sized machine.
- If you have pets that grace your bed while you’re away (or downstairs) purchase a cheap throw that they can lie on and that can be washed very often.Most sheets do not need ironing (thank goodness) so just fold them and put them in your linen closet (for directions on folding a fitted sheet view the great video below).
- Have more than one set of sheets for each bed and rotate them so that they do not become yellowed with age while sitting in the linen closet.
Visit Living on a Dime for more great money saving tips and ideas on everything in your home.
*image by By kontakts99 at morguefile