Instead as part of the Homeschool Review Crew I'm reviewing How to HOMESCHOOL with Stunning Confidence, Contagious Joy, and Amazing Focus (DVD & Coursebook) by Apologia Educational Ministries to see if it might answer all those questions they keep throwing at me (eep!)
How to Homeschool with Stunning Confidence
How to HOMESCHOOL with Stunning Confidence comes as a set with clamshell case containing 2 DVDs and a workbook for you to write in.
Also incleded is access to an online resource library full of more helpful links and items.
How to HOMESCHOOL with Stunning Confidence is 15 short Lessons each featuring Rachael Carman & Leslie Nunnery.
Veteran homeschoolers know these women well but just in case you don't Rachael Carman is the wife of Apologia Eduational Ministries President Davis Carman and Leslie Nunnery is the co-founder of the Teach Them Diligently Homeschool Conference.
Apologia is a Christian company. Just so you know the women speak on praying, seeking God, God's will and such throughout the course.
How to HOMESCHOOL with Stunning Confidence is priced at $49.00 not including shipping.
Using How to HOMESCHOOL with Stunning Confidence
I'm an old hat at homeschooling now (ha!). I've been at it since my daughter was 5 so I kind of feel comfortable pointing someone in the right direction when questions are asked about how to start homeschooling.
For that reason, I like to find resources like How to HOMESCHOOL with Stunning Confidence that can help to get a new homeschooling family organized and on the right track.
My daughter picked up the package for this production from the mailbox (she's the mail getter) and insisted I not watch it without her! Okay. She was pretty excited when she saw what it was. Even though we haven't finished 6th grade yet she's getting very excited for 7th grade.
We started these lessons on a Saturday morning when we had the most time but we've been watching them a little bit in the evening and a bit after school is over for the day too.
Rachael and Leslie sit down in a living room like setting and talk over their own homeschooling journeys. So far each lesson is like that. About 15 minutes of these ladies reminiscing and then talking over what they think you (the new homeschooler) should do, focus on, or implement.
The workbook is almost word for word what was played in the video with the addition of a page for notes and a homework assignment for each lesson.
Here's a rundown of what I've been learning in each lesson so far…
- Lesson 1 is an overview of the course and tips for getting the most out of it. There is hope and encouragement and this lesson doesn't end with homework.
- Lesson 2 is about setting goals for your homeschool. After sharing how they came to homeschool Leslie and Rachel lay out some great points to help you go into homeschooling with a clear vision of why you are doing this, and what you can expect. The homework here is so you can be really firm that this is what you want to do and the steps that led you here.
- Lesson 3 was important for me to hear again. When I first starting homeschooling I did not do this, and that is find support. I pretty much leaned on my sister who was in the process of graduating her homeschooler. We had completely different children and what worked for her didn't necessarily work for me. It's many years later and while the homeschool group we connect with now is not really official the support is there and it's great. The homework in lesson 3 will also make sure you have all your t's crossed and i's dotted.
- Lesson 4 is where I'm at now. Finding that, works for you, curriculum. We've been really blessed to find a curriculum that has been working for many years. Recognizing early on, without realizing it, what kind of learner my daughter is has been key to this. Leslie and Rachael walk you through how to pick your curriculum pieces starting with first recognizing the family needs and what works best for the homeschool parent. Then moving on to what kind of learners your children are and finding products that work for them.
So far I haven't made it all the way through the complete course but I like what I'm reading and hearing. The lessons aren't so long that they become overkill and the homework seem to be things that you should be doing when you set up your homeschool. Veteran homeschoolers take note. This is another one on my recommendation list for new homeschoolers.
This is another one on my recommendation list for new homeschoolers.
You can Connect with Apologia through Social Media:
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/apologiaworld
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/apologiaworld
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/apologia/
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/apologiaworld
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/105053356034237782125
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/apologiaworld