If you're like me, a busy homeschooling mom, you don't have a lot of time. I look for ways to help me streamline in our home and in our homeschool .
Our homeschool is small. One student, our daughter. While I can only sympathize with what it might be like seeing to all the homeschool needs of several children, an only child homeschool also carries with it its own challenges.
As much as I love the boxed homeschool curriculum we've been using for many years as a homeschool mom I realize that it may take several resources to customize the right curriculum for our daughter.
To pull it altogether would be very time consuming and probably quite costly. What if you found one place that had a variety of curriculum choices for several grades like Pre-K all the way through high school?
Why You need More Homeschool Curriculum than Comes in the Box
There is a misconception that when it comes to a boxed homeschool curriculum you get everything that you need to homeschool your child in that box.
That's just not true.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
We've been using an All-in-One boxed homeschool curriculum most of our homeschool lives (10+ years). And we love it! It's a Christian Bible based curriculum. It meets my daughter's learning style needs. It challenges her and she is learning so much.
Even though our boxed homeschool curriculum covers all the major subjects, and quite nicely I might add, I have found that there are times when I need to rely on other sources for our curriculum material. Maybe it just to expand on an idea. Or to get a different viewpoint. Either way I have found it only makes sense to have more than one resource for homeschooling.
This can be pricey if you hunt and piece together such resources.
Wouldn't it be nice to find several varied homeschool resources in a one stop hub?
A Curriculum Site for PreK Thru 12th Grade
As much as you may want one company to supply all your homeschool needs sometime its nice to get a different viewpoint on topics.
When I think of the perfect online source full of varied curriculum from Pre Kindergarten through 12th grade I think of SchoolHouseTeachers.com.
Members of the Homeschool Review Crew were given access to SchoolHouseTeachers.com so we could give you a bird's eye of all this resource has to offer. Then you can decide if this a great fit for your homeschool.
What is SchoolhouseTeachers ?
SchoolhouseTeachers.com is a curriculum site from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. It contains hundreds of homeschool courses for grades preK through 12th grade and also enrichment courses for parents and the whole family.
- An online hub of self paced Christian homeschool courses
- One price serves the whole family!
- New! School Boxes
- Complete Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool to 12th grade
- Special Needs
- Includes topics outside of the scope of the main subject areas
- mom section with meal plans, menus, and organization
School Boxes for each year. Virtual boxes contain curriculum guides, weekly checklists, daily checklists, links to courses, additional suggestions and links to corresponding resources on SchoolhouseTeachers.
What is SchoolHouseTeachers.com?
To put it simply SchoolHouseTeachers.com is an online hub of most everything you'll need for your homeschool journey.
It is a great online option for homeschooling that includes a variety of courses different styles and formats. The courses cover every grade from preschool to high school. There are also several resources for parents and what you might call free time such as videos and ebooks to watch and read.
The lessons are created by over 200 designers. Many of which are homeschoolers like yourself.
There are tools to help with planning, record keeping, grading and recording.
SchoolhouseTeachers.com has a little something for everyone.
a look at some of the courses offered on SchoolhouseTeachers.com
SchoolhouseTeachers.com has homeschool educational courses from Preschoolers to High Schoolers in the following subjects…
- Computers and Technology
- Drama and Speech
- Electives (Account, Architecture, Inventions, Trucks, etc)
- Foreign Languages
- Health and Fitness
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Unit Studies
There is also Interactive Content which includes:
* Full-color slide presentations
* Definitions of important terms at the click of a button
* Focus on key concepts
* Auto-graded quizzes that send results straight to the parent’s email
* and more!
There is also a Homeschool Physical Education Center within Schoolhouse Teachers! The center contains plans for physical education organized by age/grade level.
Planning and record keeping
A big part of your homeschool journey will be in the details. The details of planning, scheduling, record keeping, and the like. In addition to the large library of courses in SchoolhouseTeachers.com there is a planning section which includes
- Schoolhouse Planners for the current homeschool year
- Homeschool Lesson Plans to go with each course on the site
- Printable calenders
- A custom schedule builder, so you can organize your homeschool weeks
- Access to Applecore record keeping software.
- and more
SchoolhouseTeachers.com contains a section with several resources to help your student focus on special topics such as Math, Reading, Science, and Special Needs.
And as a bonus with your membership you'll have access to RightnowMedia (videos) and World Book online.
What You Get With a SchoolHouse Teachers Subscription
In addition to the lesson plans in a myriad of subjects for all grade levels (Not all subjects are offered in each grade level), you get…
- Access to current and back issues of the The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine (digital format) from 2007 to current. These are always great reads packed with timely information on the world of homeschooling. Includes special Holiday issues.
- Schoolhouse Printable Planners and Schedules (all-purpose, high school) for the current school year. Every homeschooler should take advantage of a planner. Organizing home and schoolife can be a little daunting and planners help that. There is the regular planner for mom to use, and then a planner for your highschooler. They are editable and packed with over 200 pages each! These are homeschooling gems within themselves and worth the price of the annual membership alone.
- Expo recordings from 2010 to current and Molly Green Expos. Lots of special topics at the expos. From teaching music in your homeschool to bulk food preparation.
- Then there is Literary Center with downloadable books for up to 4th grade and reading help for struggling readers of all ages.
- And in case you get lost, as I was starting to, there is a Start Here section to get you going. You'll find a monthly checklist for each grade level used to keep track of what you should/could be using each day on the site and a spot for marking progress at the end.
- There is a Teacher Lesson Archive where uploaded lessons are organized by the month so you know what lesson plans are added each month.
- Homemaking Helps such as Monthly Menus with printable recipes. Marriage Help (say what?!). Organizing help and lots more.
- Video access to RightNow Media
How We Used SchoolhouseTeachers Then
Homeschooling is more than just a few hours at a desk. It is everyday life. Sweet Peanut is learning all day long whether she realizes it or not. Just within our little extended family she can learn to play the piano and guitar, gymnastics, all about the Coast Guard, sewing, cooking, electrical work, Italian and even a bit of French. But one thing I couldn't teach her was Spanish. Her heritage. And it has been important to us to include that in our homeschool curriculum.
Update: This was in 2015. We now use SchoolhouseTeachers.com differently. Read on for how we used it then and how we're using it now.
Yay SchoolHouseTeachers.com! The first of their online classes I wanted to partake of was Spanish! Yes they offer it along with French, American Sign Language, Latin, Greek, and Latvian.
Classes are broken up by grade level. For example PreK/Elementary, Middle School, and High School. And there are extra resources to go along with the language learning such as ebooks, and coloring sheets.
The Spanish lessons here are low key. Meaning they are short and sweet and not overwhelming. The instructor giving these online lessons teachers Spanish in her town. We are learning Latin Spanish and are given a lesson to complete once a week.
Our first lesson was a bit about the history of the Spanish language. We were given a video to watch and a week's assignment to find words in the English language that was similar in sound and meaning to a Spanish word.
Our second week's lesson was the Spanish alphabet. It's a little longer than our English alphabet and we were given a list of the Spanish alphabet to practice. For this exercise, I felt it was important to find a video where we could hear the sounds of the Spanish alphabet. The sounds are different and that's important. My learned language is Italian and is so similar to Spanish I've been known to speak a little Spanish with an Italian accent! I would have liked to have been pointed to a good video here but we did okay finding one on our own.
Next week we'll learn about the numbers in Spanish. With this method of learning, I don't expect we'll become fluent in Spanish but it has been a nice introduction for Sweet Peanut to learn about her heritage and birth language.
How We Use SchoolhouseTeachers.com Now
We've now been using SchoolhouseTeachers.com for a several of years. And we've evolved how we use it.
In the beginning, I mentioned how we use a box curriculum and SchoolhouseTeachers is our supplement. As my daughter grows up she has taken more charge of her education. She now uses SchoolhouseTeachers to help her with research and furthering her education in particular topics.
SchoolhouseTeachers is constantly updating. There is a great page to find out what is new on the site. It's called Latest News and you can access it here => https://schoolhouseteachers.com/about-us/latest-news/
Fashions in History is my latest discovery on SchoolhouseTeachers. What a great course. Learn about Women's fashions from the 1800's until 1910! One of my favorite time periods!
But! There is so much more inside SchoolhouseTeachers.com I hope this review will give you an idea of what you'll get with your subscription.
This is a great time to sign up with SchoolhouseTeachers
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this product through the Schoolhouse Review Crew in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way. All opinions I have expressed are my own or those of my family. I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC Regulations